Every technology team member has a mentor. These mentors are technology leads who have had at least 6 months of experience at Bixal. The purpose of this program is to encourage learning and growth in a lightly structured format and setting. Ultimately this program the following goals:
- Develop a relationship where the mentor has an ongoing dialog about career goals, interests, and and learning.
- For the mentor to understand the current challenges the mentee is facing with current projects and technology tasks.
- Develop strategies to help alleviate challenges and blockers for projects and learning.
- For the mentor to have an understanding of workload and working to ensure healthy opportunity for learning and development.
- To ensure the mentee is on-boarded and informed of bixal technology practices and is executing technology in the correct way.
How it works#
- Before the new technology team member starts working, a lead is assigned a mentee. Both will be introduced within the end of 2 business days (preferably day 1).
- The mentor will ensure that the mentee has access to all authorized bixal systems
with 2FA enabled. The following is a list of all common services. A mentee may not need
access to these, but this is a good 'checklist' of the basics.
- Bitbucket, Gitlab, Github
- AWS, Azure, Platform.sh, Acquia
- Common software as well.
- PHPStorm (if requested)
- Correct root level access on local systems
- Introduce them to common level components used in projects. For instance, if the mentee will be working in drupal, show them Bixal/Drupal-Project and ensure they have what they need to run it.
- Set up a recurring monthly one-on-one for a half hour. These are mandatory. Even when busy (it's more important then). If you have to adjust them a few days go ahead. If you just did a performance evaluation (PEP) go ahead skip one. But if the person is busy on projects that's not an excuse. Mentors should be most involved in those situations advocating and helping correct spiking workloads.
- Ensure the mentee understands that everyone is available to help and teach at Bixal. However, if you are not getting the help you need, that the mentor is the mentee's advocate.